Using Mumble VOIP for StellarX
Mumble is an open source communication application that allows for customizable voice experiences using advanced voice activity detection technology. Plus, you can apply skins, as well as record conversations. Create your own Mumble Server on their voice communication network. We've tested it ourselves, and Mumble plays nice with StellarX. 😉
Before installing Mumble
- Make sure to enable the microphone in Windows
- In Windows Setting, in the Privacy section, select Microphone in the App permissions list, and enable the toggle ‘Allow apps to access your microphone’
How to install Mumble
1. There are two options when it comes to installing Mumble to your computer.
If you're a Mumble Client, select the latest version of the Mumble Install Setup and follow the instructions in the Mumble Install Server Documentation.
If you're not a Mumble client, simply download the latest version of Mumble, which can be found right here: https://wiki.mumble.info/wiki/Main_Page.
⭐️ Be sure to select the Mumble version that corresponds to your computer setup.
2. Once the file has been downloaded, open the Executable File.
On the first screen, click on Next to launch the installation process.
3. Read through the End-User License Agreement to acknowledge Mumble's Terms and Conditions and check the box to accept. Then, click on Next to pursue the installation process.
4. To install the Client program, click on Next.
5. Then, click on the Install button to install the Mumble software to your computer.
6. Click on the Finish button to close the installation program.
Once done, you've successfully installed Mumble to your computer. Yay! 🙌🏻 🎉
⭐️ If you're having trouble with the installation process, try installing Mumble manually to Windows following Mumble's online documentation:https://www.mumble.com/support/mumble-install-problems-on-windows.php.
Getting Started with Mumble
Before getting started with Mumble, it's important to set your audio settings according to Mumble's recommendations.
1. Connect your microphone and speaker or headphones to the computer.
2. Click on the Mumble desktop icon to begin a session.
⭐️ If this is the first time you launch a session, an audio tuning Wizard will assist you through the process.
Then, follow the path below:
configure > audio wizard
And, click on Next to proceed.
3. From there, select your Microphone and speaker device in the dropdown list.
4. Next, use the slider to tune your device until there is no latency (or a minimum) in the voice sample provided. And click on Next to proceed.
5. Using the slider, tune the volume to set a noise level you're comfortable with. For instance, try speaking into the microphone to validate your settings. Once you're comfortable, click on Next to proceed.
6. Then, click on the "Raw amplitude from input" toggle to set voice activity detection.
Next, say something aloud to help Mumble detect your speech patterns. As you speak aloud, use the slider to adjust the microphone settings. Adjust the slider until your speech patterns are in the green range. Also note that the background noise must remain in the blue range.
Once you've successfully set voice activity detection, click on Next to proceed.
🌟 Note that you might have to redo the last two steps for better precision.
7. Then, select Custom settings to adjust quality and notification settings. Also, select Use Text-to-Speech to read notifications and messages to you. Click on Next to proceed.
8. Since, StellarX does not currently use positional audio, simply click on Next to skip ahead.
9. Finally, uncheck the "Submit anonymous statistics to the mumble project” box. click on Finish.
Connecting to a Private Server
1. Launch Mumble. When a window opens up, click on the Earth button.
2. Next, click on the Add New... button.
3. Then, fill in the fields with the correct server information. Click on the OK button when you're done.
4. If necessary, add a password.
5. Now that your server is listed under your Favorites, select it, and click on the Connect button.
Now, enjoy! You've successfully connected to the server! Way to go! 🙌🏻
Installing Murmur (Mumble Server)
1. First, download the latest version of Mumble, which can be found here: https://wiki.mumble.info/wiki/Main_Page
2. Next, install Mumble if you haven't already.
If you have already installed Mumble, click on the Modify button.
3. Click on the Murmur (Server) icon to view the drop-down menu options and select your installation preferences.
Select the Local Disk Installation option and select "Will be installed on local hard drive." Click on Next to proceed.
4. Next, click on the Modify button and wait for Murmur to install.
5. Once the installation is done, use the following path to open Murmur:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Mumble
Then, open the "murmur.exe" file.
⭐️ Make sure you're connected to avoid being prompted by a firewall or other.
Once launched, you'll notice a Murmur icon appear in your menu tab.
6. Next, use the following command prompt: Windows Key+R, type "cmd".
Then, type "ipconfig" in the text field and press Enter.
Next, locate the "IPv4" address, which is the IP address that you will share to give others access to your network.
On your computer, select the "127.0.0.1" default port.
7. Then, on your computer, go to:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Mumble
Then, open "murmur.ini" in NotePad or a text reader of your choice.
8. Next, enter the following in the text fields:
- serverpassword=OVA (or whatever you want)
- registerName= OVA (or whatever you want)
🌟 Only uncomment (remove the # infront of) the 'registerName' parameter if you wish to give your "Root" channel a custom name.
9. Finally, send the information to other users so that they can connect:
- Register Name
- Server Password
- IP Address